Join Linda Barlow from Co-operatives UK for this online training seminar on Wednesday 16 December from 10am-12.30pm.
About the training
Who can be on a co-operative's board of directors? What are their legal responsibilities?
This training covers these issues and all other essentials required to be an effective member of the Board of a co-op. Join us for both a theory-led and practical session delivered by experienced professional trainers.
This training seminar provides all the essentials a successful co-operative director needs. The session will focus on the legal and governance knowledge required, as well as the 'softer' skills needed to support and build relationships.
- This training seminar takes place on Zoom for 2 1/2 hours.
- A presentation will be delivered, followed by a Q&A session.
- A 15 minute break is included in the session.
"Excellent, really motivating! The trainer had excellent knowledge. It was a very enjoyable, informative and useful training. To me, personally, a game changer. Thank you!" Director, Unicorn Grocery
How much does it cost?
- £30 + VAT for members of Co-operatives UK
- £43 + VAT for non-members. Co-operatives UK members receive 30% off all paid events – plus LOTS more benefits. Learn about Co-operatives UK membership.
What you will learn
- The legal duties, roles and responsibilities of a director and the practical application of these duties in relation to your role.
- How to be an effective director and what attributes and skills a ‘perfect director’ would have in a co-op.
- What the role of the board is and the directors place within it and in relation to the members and the employees.
- What makes an effective board and how you can contribute towards a high performing board they need.
Who should attend
- If you have recently been appointed to the Board of a co-op.
- You are thinking about becoming a director.
- You want a refresher – even for more experienced directors.
About the trainer
Linda Barlow is the Co-operative Governance Advisor in the Advice Team at Co operatives UK. The team advises co-operatives, and organisations in the wider Social Economy, on their corporate governance arrangements.
Linda works with a wide variety of co-operative, not for profit and charitable organisations. This enables her to have a broad understanding of the range of corporate governance matters affecting these organisations.
Linda project managed the 2015 update to the publication of the Handbook of Co operative and Community Benefit Society Law. She recently updated Co operatives UK’s acclaimed publication, Simply Legal, which provides easily accessible information on legal structures and governance and blogs on a range of corporate law topics.