This training seminar is now fully booked and we are no longer accepting bookings. Please contact our Events Co-ordinator [email protected] to be added to our waiting list or to be informed of future training seminars.
About the training
Co-op secretaries are key members of the management executive team.
The most effective secretaries will be trusted advisors to the board. They will deliver essential services to ensure the well-being of their co-op. This applies to the legal operation, administration as well as compliance with corporate governance best practice.
In this training, learn the essentials a successful co-operative secretary needs. From the legal and governance knowledge required, to the 'softer' skills needed to support and build relationships with the board of directors.
- This training seminar takes place on Zoom for 2.5 hours.
- A presentation will be delivered, followed by a Q&A session.
- Time for a 15 minute break is included in the session.
"Interesting and inspiring...It was good to know that I had been doing most things right for the last six years but also to learn so much more." The Phone Co-op
How much does it cost?
- £30 + VAT for members of Co-operatives UK.
- £43 + VAT for non-members. Co-operatives UK members receive 30% off all paid events – plus LOTS more benefits. Learn about Co-operatives UK membership.
What attendees will learn
Learn the skills and qualities required for a co-op secretary – and how a secretary can carry out their role effectively. This includes:
- The legal duties and responsibilities of a secretary.
- The practical application of these duties.
- Statutory reporting and paperwork requirements.
- Understanding best practice for co-op secretaries.
Who should attend
- Those new to the co-op secretary role as it deals with the main legal and best practice responsibilities associated with the role
- Existing secretaries wanting a refresher and an update on any key changes.
About the trainer
Linda Barlow is the Co-operative Governance Advisor in the Advice Team at Co operatives UK. The team advises co-operatives, and organisations in the wider Social Economy, on their corporate governance arrangements.
Linda works with a wide variety of co-operative, not for profit and charitable organisations. This enables her to have a broad understanding of the range of corporate governance matters affecting these organisations.
Linda project managed the 2015 update to the publication of the Handbook of Co operative and Community Benefit Society Law,. She recently updated Co operatives UK’s acclaimed publication, Simply Legal, which provides easily accessible information on legal structures and governance and blogs on a range of corporate law topics.